Leah Still continues fighting

By: Ryan O’Toole ~Staff Writer~

It’s been nearly six months since 4-year old Leah Still, the daughter of Cincinnati Bengals defensive tackle Devon Still, was diagnosed with pediatric cancer.

She had her cancerous tumor removed toward the end of September, then quickly took on chemotherapy, continuing her fight.

Things haven’t been easy for Leah, Devon and the rest of the family.

However, Still and his daughter have been looking for the silver linings as much as possible.
In a note written by Still to thank fans and supporters, he mentioned how his daughter has been enjoying all the attention and support.

“The first time Leah was on TV, she called me to say she was a superstar,” Still said.
“I think that’s helping her keep her positive energy. With the videos we make on Instagram, she always asks me to read the comments that everybody writes. She’s soaking up the attention.”
Leah got to spend a day with the Bengals cheerleaders, something she wanted to do for a long time but just hadn’t had the energy for.

And more recently, she was able to watch her dad play live for the first time on Nov. 6 against the Cleveland Browns.

After the first quarter, the Bengals presented a check of $1.3 million to Cincinnati Children’s Hospital.

The money was raised from the sales of Devon Still’s jerseys.

NFL: Cleveland Browns at Cincinnati Bengals
Leah Still looks up at the crowd as she is carried off the field by her grandmother after pregame events

Still is aware that a difficult journey lies ahead but he also has faith that the worst of things is behind his family.

Leah has one more treatment of radiation and chemotherapy, and then doctors will get to see whether the cancer remains in her bones.

Following that, she has a stem-cell transplant scheduled at the end of November.

“We took her stem cells out when we got the diagnosis and froze them, so they’ll put them back in,” Still said.

“And hopefully we go into the holiday season with news that she is cancer-free.”

Thanks to the support from all across the nation, Still is hopeful and positive.

“Through all this, we really just try to hold on to our faith as much as possible,” Still said
I’m pretty sure I’m not the first athlete who has gone through something like this, but it’s the first time I’ve seen something blow up to this magnitude. We just felt that everything that’s happened has happened for a reason,” he said.