Men’s soccer drops two

By: Adam Purvis ~Staff Writer~

Newswire photo by Adam Spegele Junior forward Jalen Brown (6) celebrates with redshirt junior Chris Moore after Moore’s goal against Virginia Tech gave Xavier an early lead.

Xavier’s men’s soccer team came off its overwhelming victory over Eastern Illinois University (8-0) to play three games in the past week. The Musketeers traveled to Madison, Wisc., to compete against the Badgers on Aug. 30, before heading down to Nashville on Sept. 3 to face off against the Lipscomb Bisons. They returned home to play against Virginia Tech on Sept. 6.

Newswire photo by Adam Spegele Soph. Forward Matt Vazquenza dribbles.

Whether it was the good energy coming from the first game of the season or the below 90°F weather out in Wisconsin, the Musketeers took home a solid win over the Badgers with a score of 2-0. The teams each took six shots and four corners with only Xavier being able to come through.

The first half of the match did not go well for Xavier, however. They only managed one shot and scored a couple of yellow cards. The second half would change all of that. The first goal of the match came 35 seconds into the second half from a header by sophomore Josh Grant. The second goal of the match ensured victory for the Musketeers after senior Alex Risdale capitalized off a penalty kick in the 79th minute. Senior Vince Shaw continued his streak with his second shutout in a row.

This loss left the Badgers at a record of 0-2 while Xavier kept strong on a two win streak. The next match of the week would end both streaks for Xavier, sadly. The Musketeers experienced their first loss of the season against Lipscomb with a score of 1-2.

The men’s team outshot Lipscomb 13-6 and had 11 corners throughout the match. Even with these impressive numbers,they could not come out on top. Xavier’s lone goal of this match came from Risdale in the 21st minute from another penalty kick. In the next six minutes, Lipscomb would score twice to take over the lead. Xavier came close to equalizing with Lipscomb with numerous shots, but the weather would cause problems with a half-hour rain delay in the 66th minute.

Even with three more headers after the delay, none of them could get past Lipscomb goalkeeper Micah Bledsoe. Returning home after these matches on Friday, Xavier suffered another defeat from Virginia Tech (3-1) after play was postponed on Friday until Sunday morning.

Xavier would take the lead early in the 14th minute with a goal from junior Chris Moore following a ball from sophomore Cory Brown. Virginia Tech would proceed with two goals in the first half and one more in the second half leading to the second loss for Xavier this season. Xavier is now 2-2 for the season and will continue play at 7 p.m. this Friday against Cincinnati at UC.